At a wedding shower last weekend, we were each asked if we could give a little advice to the soon-to-be Mr. and Mrs. I’m usually never short of words – I’ve probably read a dozen books on marriage, I’ve listened to podcasts, CDs and have talked to numerous friends on the subject…but, when asked point-blank I could only think about one thing – Keep perspective. In marriage, I’ve learned that this is probably the one thing that you need the most at the beginning of marriage and is probably the one area you lack the most in.
I’m learning this lesson again this week. The Lord is impressing upon my heart to keep perspective right now. As we prepare for Baby Plumlee, I get very worried about all of the details… Where is she going to stay when I go back to work? Will she be safe and taken care of? Should we space out her immunizations? What can we do to prevent SIDS? How in the world do we parent a child to love the Lord and to love others? How will Roy and I manage the changes? …and the questions go on….
Perspective today means trusting the Lord, the one that sees the entire puzzle before we even see a piece. I struggle with control even though I know control is an optical illusion. The past couple of nights we’ve been working on turning the office/spare bedroom into a nursery/spare bedroom. I’ve had to go through a few things I filed away. I was looking through some notes from past sermons in college and had written down that the opposite of faith is fear. Do you know that the Lord said “Do not fear” 365x in the bible? Maybe he did that for me…because He knew that every day I would have the opportunity to trust in Him or worry my way through the details and all of the questions truly knowing that the Lord is my provider, healer, helper…the great I AM. He sees the beginning from the end and He is not worried about details…He’s already there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Beautiful. Such a good reminder for all of us.
I needed this today - good timing Ms. Jennie :).
I'm a worrier/control freak too, so this was a great reminder for me :) Thanks!
Thanks. I needed this too.
Post a Comment