Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Best Parent.

I saw my parents a few weeks ago and they had two boxes for me...boxes full of treasures (i.e. mostly junk). In there was a basket with my egg baby in it...remember, the one you make and "take care of" in Home Economics? I loved that class. I'll never forget Mrs. Freels. She asked us to write letters to ourselves in ten years. She said she would mail them to us, after ten years passed. She said that if ever there was a fire at the school, she would grab the box of letters first. I never got the letter...and I've thought about it at least once a year since. I wonder what words of wisdom I had to give. Maybe I'd be a better person if I had that letter. Probably not.

I loved the little egg baby assignment that we had. I took the class, anticipating the assignment where I would have a baby to care for. I won best parent. Probably because I was the only one that took the assignment seriously. Most of the other girls in the class already had children or were expecting at the time. I was also the President of the Future Homemakers of America (FHA) that year. It makes me laugh every time I think about it. It's always a good one to include when I play the game "Two truths and a Lie." I was also a teacher's pet (my biggest accomplishment in any class).

Anyway, as we prepare for real parenthood, it's all a bit overwhelming. I'm excited, no doubt, but excitement doesn't compare with the anxiousness of what is to come. I can't wait to meet Baby P but I'm not ready to meet her today...I hope she cooks in my belly until January, at least. Roy and I have already started talking about how we want to parent...with consistency and love (not enabling them). But, truthfully, we have no idea what we're doing. It'll probably be a crap shoot, as far as we're concerned...but, we're not going down without a fight. I've practically signed us up for on-going parenting classes for the rest of our days. Kind of like all of the marriage classes that we go to now (which, I love even though Roy thinks most of them are a beating).

We walked into Kroger the night we found out we were having a baby girl and I saw a few girls dressed in their "date" attire. I turned to Roy and told him that we better start praying for her purity now.

Pray for us. Seriously.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I love it, best parent award. Such a fun story. So does the baby have a name? I saw baby P but I wasn't sure if P stood for anything. I hate that we missed each other in Austin yet again.