Monday, August 30, 2010

Butterfly kisses, kittens and slumber parties!

We're having a baby girl!

I know what you're thinking...we weren't going to find out. You're right! But when we were in the sonogram on Friday, Roy was so excited, he just wanted to know what we were having. So before leaving, the sonographer (Judy) told us...in her own little way (i.e. we asked her to write it on a piece of paper and put it in a sealed envelope but she blurted it out instead).

I was very taken back. I had completely convinced myself that we were having a boy. The pregnancy has really been a breeze with little to no morning sickness. Most of my friends who have had girls had a rough pregnancy to go alongside the "joyous" months. It took me a little getting used to but I'm thrilled! I have dreamed of having a little girl for my entire life...and, she's perfect. We counted fingers, toes, heart valves, brain parts, kidneys and such.

On Saturday night, I went to the movies with a few friends so Roy could get a little studying done for his CFP (2 more exams and then the final in November). When I got home, I went upstairs and sitting next to our bed was a huge bunch of beautiful red and pink lilies. He also lit two candles on our bed side tables. I went in the other room to thank him for the flowers and he laughed before he told me to go back and look again (my attention to detail is unbelievable). I went back in our room and noticed that on the bed was a beautiful white summer dress (her first dress), three long sleeve newborn onesies (in pink, of course), a book on mothering daughters and a letter...the most wonderful letter I've ever received. I was in a pile of tears before I turned around to see Roy tearing up (don't tell him I told you this). It was the most thoughtful, caring, kind, loving, nurturing thing that Roy has ever done...he's amazing.

Here's the letter, just because you asked (:

Beautiful,

Yesterday I discovered what my life is going to be….

A future filled with hugs and kisses, hearts and rainbows, flowers and pearls, and all the sweetness that will make up our little girl.

There will be pink dresses and messes, and lots of tears, but I hope that we can be there to calm all of her fears.

There will be baby dolls that pee and baby dolls that eat…Barbie dolls and Ken dolls, and dream houses galore.

Future dreams of proms, motherhood and being a bride…long before my heart is strong enough to take everything in stride.

I will learn of Beatrice, Ramona, Dora and Kit…and try to teach her about DiMaggio, Jeter, Unitas, and Mantle.

In her eyes all dogs will be puppies and all cats will be kittens.

I will have to be on my best behavior for tea parties, slumber parties, and Snow White themed birthday parties.

I will eat half-baked cakes and cupcakes with icing and sprinkles, but no oven is needed for the tenderness and butterfly kisses that will surely melt my heart.

Bedtime will be filled with stories of princes and princesses and fairy tales taking place in far away lands.

Nights of introducing her to God and telling His story, asking for His protection for her life and her heart, so that she won’t be afraid to open them both for His glory.

I hope to introduce her to chocolate, roller coasters, sports, and Yankee sluggers…
but if instead she chooses ballet, tap, drama and piano…I will be right beside you to support her with only hugs and smiles.

I pray that I will be a hero that is not only a tale, but a better husband to you, and proud father to our beautiful little girl to-be.

I will ask for her forgiveness, for even the smallest of slights….and offer my own without hesitation or pride.

I look forward to lots of things, but one thing is for sure, I have already seen glimpses of the mother you are and the mother you will be. It is a wonderful sight. Our little girl is the luckiest to have you.

God is going to bless us with a daughter!

7 comments:

monique said...

You are making me cry too! how awesome---I'm so happy for you! I'm ready to hear about names, I'm sure you are keeping those secret? :) Love ya!

wilsonfamily said...

CONGRATS to the most perfect girl mom I know! I had a feeling, but did not say anything. Besides, I'm usually wrong in guessing. ;) I'm SO excited for you guys! Such a sweet post, Jennie. Thanks for sharing the wonderful news.

amandakoell said...

Okay, I came to the website to see your latest pictures and instead I find out you are having a girl!! Eek!! So exciting and the letter made me cry. Beautiful. Baby Girl Plum is already so very blessed to be brought into the world by such wonderful parents. I can't wait to meet her!!!

Michelle said...

Oh Jennie. How precious is this. What a wonderful man. I already can't WAIT to see you raising a little girl. We must catch up soon over onesies and pacifiers at some ridiculous baby store.

Merritt said...

Loved this post Jennie and that sweet letter from Roy! Precious! Thanks for sharing it. Makes me teary too! Congrats on a little girl!!!!

Shea said...

That was the sweetest letter ever! I'm so glad you found such a wonderful man to share this journey with.

Gibbs Family said...

Wow! first, congrats, congrats! To a healthy baby and to a baby girl! The letter did actually make me cry, you are a lucky lady...although I'm sure Roy would say he is the lucky one (..and i'd agree!) I love your blog, I love your belly pics and cant wait to watch you guys on this crazy, fun, wonderful journey. Congrats!! Julie (odell) GIbbs