We're going home tonight! And, I couldn't be more excited.
Gable is doing great...and in a few days, she probably won't even remember the hospital stay. We also hope that this will be a distant memory for Roy and me in no time. After that inital night in the hospital she hasn't had a fever and has been eating just fine - actually, that's an understatement - the girl likes to eat! She's gained well over a pound since her arrival and is tipping the scales past 10 lbs. now. If I can be a little biased, I'd like to say that she's absolutely, hands down, the cutest thing I've ever seen. She's starting to make more sweet sounds, her schedule is becoming just a tad more predictable (although not even close to sleeping through the night) and I even caught her smiling back at me yesterday (perhaps it was gas but we'll just go with it, okay).
I can't say that I'm thankful for the opportunity to go through this experience but there are so many wonderful things I can be thankful for, despite the circumstance...
I have been in awe by the way our friends and family have surrounded us, without even having to see us. Ann and Laura put together an incredible care basket full of just about anything you can possibly need in the hospital - gift certificates from surrounding restaurants, snacks, magazines, homemade cookies, lotion, lip balm, the list goes on an on. And, if there was anything that was forgotten, Michelle covered it in her gift basket to us full of lavender spa toiletries, hot tea, fruit, more magazines and snacks...along with dinner, of course. Dina brought dinner, Alison brought dinner and Courtney brought dinner. Kathryn sent me text messages everyday from Jesus, which was something that I began to look forward to. I also received well over a hundred emails, voicemails and text messages from friends sending us their thoughts and prayers as we navigated these merky waters. I also had four friends contact me that had gone through similiar experiences. These gestures have literally brought me to tears many times...I never felt alone.
So maybe I don't understand why we had to go through this...or why we could have possibly be sent home the second day if they would have received a successful spinal tap in the emergency room...but, the Lord knows..and I trust that He cares deeply for us. How encouraging it has been to watch everyone care for Gable (and us!) the way that they have...and for that, there are no words for how thankful that I am.
We are planning to leave the hospital after her 6:00pm antibiotic treatment. They'll remove the PICC line and we'll probably have to wait an hour or so before we're released. I've only left the hospital twice in the past two weeks - both times just to run home for a few hours to grab a few personal items and take a "real" shower...so you can probably imagine how ready I am to take Gable back with me this time...for good (I've had to remind her a few times that this hospital room is not her home :). I'm going to be much more careful with Gable this time around but will also have to continue to trust the Lord with her life and remind myself that I can't protect her from everything. We don't know how she got menigitis and she's not any more likely to get it again.
I am so thankful that this is almost behind us...and, we truly believe that the Lord has completely healed her. Learning to trust the Lord with what we have been given...was that the plan all along?

9 comments:
So, so thankful. Praying for you all.
She's beautiful!
Chrys
So glad today is the day you go home. That little face - I can see how your life has been changed. I see a little bit of the earnest and tender Jennie I know :) Can't wait to see you guys again soon. Michael and I have prayed and been grateful to follow your journey.
Praise God! So thankful and excited for your family. Still in our prayers!
Reading your sweet post reminded me of how much we were also cared for when Asher was there after his choking episode. I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone, but it brought me to my knees in prayer more than anything else in my life. Praising the Lord for Gable's fully restored health, and thankful that she will never remember this experience. Also praying that you and Roy, both, will walk away confident in your parenting and with hearts fully trusting the Lord.
Much love and hugs!
Jill
So glad you guys are back home and what a beautiful picture of Gable!
SO glad you are going home. She is beautiful!
Thanking our God for his protective embrace over your sweet girl! What a precious, adorable face. Such squeezeable cheeks! Sadie can't wait to spend time with her friend Gable sometime soon (we'll wait til she's older!)
So fun to hear how you were loved and cared for the past couple of weeks. Love you friend.
Jennie I am so thankful to hear that you and the family are back home. I have been praying for y'all. I can't wait to see more pictures of Gable at home!
Wow, Jenny. I am just catching up on my blog reading (the newborn life leaves little time for leisure as I am sure you know).
I am sorry to hear that you guys had to go through this the past few weeks. Praise God that Gable is better now!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Post a Comment