Thursday, August 13, 2009

Summer re-cap, Fall forward

It’s hard to believe the summer is almost over…it’s already August and I just noticed I haven’t written on the blog for awhile (a huge apology to all my faithful readers…okay I only know one person who reads this). I love blogs…but mine, somehow, didn’t seem very exciting so I stopped writing. I catch up with a lot of other friends I don’t see very often through their blogs…I hear about Michelle’s latest fashion advice, Monique’s trip to Nashville, Alison’s latest trip down south to drop off Josh so she and Chris can have a weekend alone, I love seeing pictures of Julie’s Noah trying to pump breast milk and of course, Henrik and Caleb’s adventures to new yogurt places. It’s really exciting, I tell you. Honestly.

So, I’ve decided to go for quantity rather then quality and re-cap for you my favorite things about this summer…
1. I love the heat. I was made for Texas. Yesterday, I couldn’t wait to leave Central Market so that I could go sit in my car. I typically don’t turn on the air conditioning on my way home, after I leave work.
2. Although most days I would trade Dallas for just about any other city, we did find some redeemable qualities this year. We went to Shakespeare in the Park in July with a few friends – fabulous performance! Okay, that’s about it.
3. Roy and I spent a weekend out at Ross and Kara’s lake house…we had a blast (thanks, again!). Of course it rained almost the entire time we were there but it didn’t seem to dampen our spirits much. It was just nice to get away.
4. Roy’s nieces moved back to Texas! We’re so excited. Spending time with Jenna and Amanda = ice skating, birthday parties and sweets. I love it…especially since I don’t get to see my nieces, which breaks my heart. I truly believe this is God’s way of giving back just a little of what I miss so much.
5. Summer concerts….okay, I have to admit, I went (and loved) the New Kids on the Block concert. I may have lost “cool” points for going but it was worth it. Thanks for going Sterling, I know you’re still embarrassed to send pictures over email just in case someone sees you in them. I forgive you. Followed by NKOTB, Tiffany got us free tickets to Cold Play…10th row, center stage. I think I got all my cool points back for scoring these tickets…or being related to someone that scored these tickets. It was fabulous. Chris Martin, I heart you.
6. Miami for Deborah’s birthday…so worth a weekend away from my love (sorry, Roy) – we had a blast. Of course, I also came to appreciate my married life where I share a bathroom with a clean-freak. I loved sailing the canal in search of famous people’s houses and eating so well. Dear Beach, I never knew I loved you so much. Growing up, I always thought you looked like Port Aransas. Sorry to mistake you.
7. Sam and Susan’s engagement! Even though Susan won’t befriend me on Facebook, I still love her. Sam and Susan started dating at our wedding last year and now they’re going to get married! I’d like to believe that I have some small part in their happiness. Congratulations!
8. So many babies (not ours)! Kacey and Peter had Rebekah and Joanna. Amanda and Dan had Henrik and Caleb. Jennifer and Anthony had Graham. Ricci and Wayne had Archer. Julie and John had Hunter. Amrah and Casey had Grant. Jason and Carrie had Ford. Three of these babies were conceived around at or around our wedding…coincidence? I think not. And, there were more! I just can’t remember all of their names…
9. Our Foundation Group. I have loved getting to know these couples. I love game night, girl’s night and dinner with Laura and Jason.
10. There is something about summer that makes me feel alive. Lately, I’ve felt like I can breathe again. I’ve started calling friends I haven’t talked to in awhile and taking up a few old hobbies (Thanks, Dina for getting me into tennis lessons).

And, while I’m at it, I’ll go ahead and let you know the things I’m looking forward to in the fall…
1. Starting today, I’m going to do a Yoga marathon with friend MM. My goal is to go to yoga for 10 days straight…I’ve only done yoga twice before and I was horrible at it. Here’s to wishing!
2. The Village Church is opening a Dallas campus in September and I can’t wait to visit! We’ve been driving up to their Highland Village campus about once a month (which is an hour drive). Matt Chandler is an amazing teacher – I love his practical insight.
3. Our year anniversary is just around the corner (October 4th)! We’ve booked a weekend in Savannah, Georgia. I’ve heard such beautiful things about the city, I think it’ll be an incredible weekend. I love to explore new places.
4. I’ve decided to go back to school. SMU COX School of Business offers a marketing certificate program where they extract classes from their MBA program. It’s an intensive 21 week study, one day at week from 6:30-9:30pm on Monday nights. I’m going for continuing education but just the idea of going back to school to learn more about something I love so much, excites me.
5. We’re spending Thanksgiving in New York this year with my parents! I love New York, where you can feel the air of winter coming on. I want to ice skate in Rockefeller Plaza, enjoy the Thanksgiving parade, catch a performance of the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City (thanks for the tickets, Mom) and at least one Broadway show (thanks in advance, Roy). Roy’s never been to NYC for Thanksgiving. Can we window shop on 5th Avenue? You’ll love it.
6. Ireland! I’m traveling around Ireland for 7 nights in September with friend Lisa, Michelle and two of her friends. We’re renting a large bus we plan to camp out in for most of the trip…I’m looking into B&B’s just in case J I’m still sad we’re missing Allison’s wedding in Aspen for this…
7. I entered a contest and plan on winning a spa weekend in Austin with a few girlfriends for my birthday. I might have to come up with another plan…you know how these contests go, sometimes.
8. We’re heading to Houston for Jill’s wedding in a couple of weeks. I’m just excited to see my friends Jenny and Earl, Jennifer and Anthony, Ricci and Wayne and Leslie and Tom. I wish we had time to see a few others…I hate the humidity but I love my Houston friends.
9. We just signed another 3 month lease on our apartment so we might be moving at the end of the year…we just don’t know where. Maybe somewhere cheaper. In Dallas, of course. I don’t think we’re ready for a house yet.
10. Football season. Is that terrible? I love to bond with Roy over our teams and spend Saturday afternoons with friends around the TV. It’s All American. I’d like to see at least one UT game in Austin and maybe even one ASU game in Phoenix. I’m getting excited just typing about it.

Well, that about sums up my life right now…it’s all I know. Roy and I are doing well. We’re learning more about marriage everyday and how to love each other more deeply…a thousand blessings along the way.

Love,
Jennie

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Here's to our yoga marathon! And by the way, I hear you'll love Savannah... :)