Saturday, January 17, 2009

Learning to Dance


Roy has recently encouraged me to write me. He's even given me permission to use him as my muse.


Now that we've hit the three month mark, I can definitely see why so many people told me before marriage that God will use this relationship more then any other to change me into more of Him and less of me. Except, to my misfortune, it doesn't come naturally. I had a lot of time on my hands this weekend so today I decided to read the book "For Better for Best"...I think it was written in 1972 so other then a few strange references to life in the 70's I learned more then a few things I need to take to heart.


Here are my Top 10:

1. I need to improve on 4 qualities: gratefulness, calmness, gentleness and unselfish love

2. I need to minimize my expectations and lean on the Lord to meet my needs

3. I need to consider what he says and not over-react

4. I need to show Roy how much I admire him through facial expressions and my tone of voice

5. Putting pressure on someone is another way to express nagging...don't do it...this also goes for my contentious spirit.

6. Show more interest in Roy's life.

7. As much as it is possible, our communication should be encouraging and delightful

8. I need to show Roy my unconditional acceptance as a person and how much I value his opinion and consider his words

9. Maintain an openness and willingness to yield to him

10. Remain flexible

Perhaps with a lot of prayer and even more determination to serve and love him more fully, I can show my love for him in tangible ways.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'm proud of you for writing all of this out! God truly refines us through marriage to make us more like Him.